The course has been developed to give cyclists the skills and confidence to pilot an individual who is blind, or vision impaired on a tandem bike. Courses will be rolled out nationally over the coming years with the aim to create a National Register of Tandem Pilot Volunteers, increasing tandem cycling opportunities for people who are blind or vision impaired across Ireland.
The fee for this course is €15.
This course comprises of 2 sessions:
- Online theory workshop (2 Hours) which takes place on a weekday evening in advance of the practical session.
- In person practical workshop (3 Hours) which takes place on a weekend.
Should you register for the course, attending both days is mandatory.
What will we be looking for in a tandem pilot:
- Member of Cycling Ireland
- Have the fitness to safely complete the ride.
- Have sufficient personal cycling skills.
- Able to safely pilot a tandem bike.
- Able to communicate effectively.
- Able to ride in accordance with the rules of the road.
- Attend the course in full.