A Tandem Pilot Training course has been developed by Vision Sports Ireland and Cycling Ireland with the aim of creating a National Register of qualified Tandem Pilot Volunteers.
This workshop is suitable for competent cyclists who are members of Cycling Ireland and are interested in volunteering to be pilot.
Courses will be rolled out nationally over the coming years.
The first course will take place over two sessions and is supported by Tullamore Cycling and Touring Club.
Online Theory workshop – Wednesday April 27th 7pm – 8:30pm
Practical workshop – Saturday April 30th – Tullamore Harriers Athletic Club Carpark, 12 noon – 3pm
Should you register for the course, attending both days is mandatory.
The Tandem Pilot Training Course aims to provide pilots with an introduction to role of the tandem bike pilot and the competencies required to pilot on a cycle. Prior to registering on the course please answer the following questions:
- I can comfortably cycle in a straight line with either hand off the handlebars?
- I am able to ride in a straight line whilst looking over either shoulder?
- I am comfortable cycling in close proximity to other riders?
- I am comfortable cycling on busy roads in close proximity to traffic?
- I am aware of the basic laws pertaining to cycling on the road?
- I have the fitness level to ride for approximately 60km?
What will we be looking for as part of the training:
- Have the fitness to safely complete the ride.
- Have sufficient personal cycling skills.
- Able to safely pilot a tandem bike.
- Able to communicate effectively.
- Able to ride in accordance with the rules of the road.
- Attend the course in full.
Please click on the link below to register your place.